3.18.2010

Chicken Noodle Soup



Okay so this is not quite cooking for one, but I had a bunch of random veggies that were threatening to rot if I didn't use em up. Seriously, they were on the edge. So, culinarily disinclined me, took it on myself to make a (mostly) home concocted chicken noodle soup. This ones all me, aside from the main stars. (Side note: I am trying to devour a second helping as I type this up) It's darn tasty and will last me the rest of the week with some to spare for a willing soul or two. I'm sure for those experienced and talented cooks out there it is no secret, but for the folks who are like me let it be known: cooking is an EXCELLENT way to build your confidence, not just in the kitchen but in life. I guess it's about being well rounded.


Chicken Noodley Soup

4 chicken thighs
1.5 boxes of Chicken broth (I'm really bad a converting, maybe 4 or 5 cups?)
1 tbs of jerk seasoning (thanks to the old man's sister for bringing that back from Jamaica)
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
a few leaves of fresh basil
1 bay leaf
Peppercorns (i used a mixed variety, about a tsp)
S&P to taste
2 and a bit cups of rotini pasta (that's what I used and it was a little too much, 1 cup would probably suffice)
Broccoli (heads and stems cut thin)
Red pepper
Scallions
1 white onion
Carrots (3 or 4)
Fennel
Mushrooms
1 can of corn

And this is how it came together. I boiled the chicken thighs in the chicken broth with the salt, pepper, rosemary, basil, bay leaf and JERK until they were pretty much cooked. Meanwhile I chopped up the veggies, using lots of onion, carrot and broccoli but skimping on the fennel, scallions and mushrooms. Skimping was called for on the the much less that vivacious looking veggies. Once the chicken was cooked I scooped it out, took off the skin and started to pull is away from the bone. I then dumped the veggie mix in with the chicken and peppercorns and let that go for a bit. This is one of those dishes you don't really have time allotments for (i didn't keep track is what's up) so just pay attention and check on it every so often. Once your veggies start to soften remove chicken and debone and then toss it back in along with the pasta and corn (it's cooked so you could even wait until the end). Let the noodles cook and voila, tasty comfort soup.

No comments: